Thursday, September 25, 2008

My thoughts on Sarah Palin

From the moment she stepped into the national spotlight on August 29, 2008, I have felt such a kinship and a connection with Sarah Palin. She is so refreshingly real. I am profoundly inspired by strong, smart, self-reliant, and successful women, the tough kind who not afraid or ashamed of their independence and ambition. I myself come from a long-line of hard-headed women, as I learned everything I needed to know in life from my Mom, my Nanny, and my Mema. Being a woman carries both responsibilities and privileges, but most of all, you should never let a man define who you are. The critical importance of an education was drilled into me over and over again, and I learned the value of maximizing every ability and opportunity that I had.

We have persevered through some very trying times with a never-abiding faith in God, and it was more than understood that family came first. I was told at the age of 16 that I would never walk or use my fingers again, but did I lose myself in fear and discouragement? Not on your life! I got me a hot-pink wheelchair, my Mom bought a handicapped-equipped van, and I started 10th grade with my friends only 4 months after I broke my neck in a car accident.
I will also add that ever since I was 14 years old, I have rarely ever left my house without my makeup flawlessly applied and my hair coiffed. My appearance has always been a priority for me, and even after I was rendered a quadriplegic, I saw no reason why I couldn’t look great in my wheelchair too. What is truly unbelievable is that there is this glaring misconception that you can’t be beautiful and smart at the same time. I remember meeting with a vocational counselor when I was in rehabilitation and him telling me that I was going to have to stop worrying about my hair and makeup, or else I wouldn’t be going anywhere in life. Of course, that was before he reviewed my IQ results. Well, 24 years and a law degree later, I sure showed him.

I see these same values in Sarah Palin. She has persevered and she is soaring. She doesn’t consider a baby a punishment, and she believes that Trig, her son born with Down’s Syndrome, is a blessing. This is a lady who is selfless and worries not about her own convenience. She understands that life under any circumstances is precious, and that we are often faced with challenges in this world to make us stronger, better people.

And she is absolutely beautiful! Brains and beauty can be a formidable combination. She has a firm grasp of the issues at hand, and no matter what any pinhead on MSNBC says, Sarah cleaned house in her march to the Governor’s mansion in Alaska. She challenged and beat the GOP establishment in her home state, and those accomplishments show a determination and a drive that is so rare in politics today. She could have played along with the party machine up there and gotten a cushy, safe seat or appointment. Sarah Palin chose to make a difference. I am so proud to be a supporter of her!

The level of virulent rage directed at the governor is both appalling and perplexing. I am especially disappointed in the reaction of the so-called feminists to her nomination. First and foremost, there is nothing more feminine than having children and being a loving mother. This personal contempt exhibited by Maureen Dowd and her ilk goes way beyond politics. I am wondering now if these women are in many ways envious of Sarah—she has it all: beauty, intelligence, a happy marriage, children, and POWER. We have all heard of those studies showing that men don’t like smart women and that it is virtually impossible for a single woman over 35 to find a husband. Maybe Sarah Palin reminds them of what they are missing in their own lives. I don’t know what their motives are, but all of these attacks on her infuriate me.

No, Governor Palin is not perfect, but she is real—she is what this country needs. She is a fighter when she has to be, and I trust her instincts. We know this woman! In a recent article by the aforementioned Ms. Dowd, she reports of her trip to Alaska with the mainstream media’s scavenger hunt, and her description of her stop at Wal-Mart there was literally dripping with sarcasm and snobbery. I seriously doubt if she has ever lowered herself to mix with the common folks at Wal-Mart before. These elitist liberals just don’t get it.

The has-been comedic actress Sandra Bernhard said last week that if Sarah Palin dared set foot in Manhattan, a group of her big black brothers would be there to gang-rape her. Where is the media outrage at this statement? Why isn’t anyone calling for her head? Just imagine if someone in the entertainment industry told Senator Obama that if he dared to set foot in Alabama, that a bunch of Klansmen would be there to lynch him and hang him from the highest tree. I am certain that a comedienne who would level such a threat to Senator Obama would never work again. Ask Michael Richards or Don Imus.

In a little over a month, the people of this country will render the ultimate verdict. Regardless of the outcome, I am appreciative of the contribution that Sarah Palin has already made to our political process. We political women are not blind followers of NOW and NARAL—we are just as diverse as any other segment of the electorate, and more of us identify with Sarah Palin than Gloria Steinem or Maureen Dowd. I am pretty sure that I am not the only one who is cheering Governor Palin now, encouraging her with sentiments of "You go, girl!" as she campaigns.

That’s right, Sarah—You go, girl!.

1 comment:

Scott From South Cackalacky said...

Excellent Post. When I started to research some of the VP contenders back in May, Palin came up. She became one of the top three choices on my Veep "wish list" along with Bobby Jindal and Eric Cantor. This is truly a great American who has taken her character & merit combined with her "pioneering" attitude and thrived on every step to her goals.

My opinion is that the left and press hate her because she doesn't let their warped opinion of her affect her. She is a true Liberty Belle!